Thursday, May 19, 2011

CO-FML-EX

I really don't mean to use this as a forum to rant... so please pardon my grumpiness... But c'est la vie people! It's not all happiness, flowers, puppies, fashion, and sweets. So let this post be my way of making this blog "real" ie. less optimism, more reality.

Studying for the boards sucks. Yep, it's probably the worst torture I have ever been through. Even worse I left Abby and Elle in Indiana so I don't even have dogs to talk to right now. What a pathetic life when you're locked in your apartment with no one, not even animals, to talk to! It's no wonder doctors turn out to be schizoid.

Somehow I have lost myself in all this, medical school that is. I feel like I don't even know who I am sometimes. I think back to what my life was like two years ago, four years ago... It's like I'm an entirely different person. I have given up my favorite hobbies, sacrificed invaluable time with my family and friends, and poured myself into this pool of medical information that is impossible not to drown in. I keep telling myself this is what I want, but honestly... I'm not happy right now. I'm totally burnt out and I really don't like the "new me" who can't cut up, relax, and have a few too many glasses of wine. So is this REALLY what I want???

Well, I don't know for sure, but a fourth year medical student at my school sent me an email today saying she promises that it gets better after boards! I pray that she is right. (Side note: I really admire her and I think we have a lot in common, so her email was such a blessing to receive today. It really helped me push through.) I'm dreaming of the day when I can put all this knowledge to use and actually help someone by giving them the knowledge, reassurance, and stellar healthcare they need.

I don't want this post to be entirely without a smile, so I googled "medical school cartoons" and found some pretty funny stuff. Enjoy people! And please, say a prayer for me. And for my classmates.


EKG's. Amazing, but I hate them on exams. The strips are so small you can't see a dang thing!

Ooops, that wasn't Andy's head. It was MINE!!!

Thanks for those great words of wisdom! I feel sooooo much better now. ;)

Uh, yea.. this last one isn't funny. This is my public service announcement of the day- GET A PAPSMEAR LADIES!!!! And the Gardasil vaccine while you're at it.

1 comment: